What Is A Phishing Attack
Phishing is a form of cyber-crime where individuals utilize emails in the attempt to gain highly personal information from people or corporations by portraying themselves as legitimate or trustworthy senders. Phishing attacks are often successful because they arrive in recipients’ mailboxes, disguised as routine emails from people or organizations with whom the receiver has an ongoing business relationship.
The goal of a phishing attack is to convince the recipient of an email to voluntarily give up sensitive information to the sender such as login credentials, credit or social security numbers or bank account information.
How To Identify A Phishing Attack
Phishing attacks are often difficult to identify until it is too late. Here are some great tips to pass along to employees on how to identify these malicious and dangerous emails.
- Generic Greetings - Receiving an email with a subject line such as “Hello State Bank Customer” is a sure fire indication that it is dangerous and was sent in bulk to many people. However, emails with generic greetings are not the only way that recipients can be attacked. “Spear Phishing” can also be utilized by personalizing an email’s greeting, making it look non-threatening.
- Requests For Personal Information – Nearly no genuine organization or entity will ever ask for personal information via email, so should this occur, consider it a very big red flag. In addition, an email that contains “links” to websites to verify login ID’s or passwords are never legitimate and should be avoided at all costs.
- Urgent Response Required - Most phishing emails employ a false urgency strategy, making it seem that the need for the information being requested is almost a matter of life and death. These emails also try to scare recipients by stating that they will lose access to vitally important personal information if action is not taken immediately. Should any email try to compel an urgent response, the receiver should not act upon it.
Defending Against Email Phishing Attacks
Guarding your company’s email system against phishing is not complicated, but that doesn’t mean it is always easy. Here are some good ways to begin to build your line of defense against attacks.
- Give Out Your Email Cautiously - Protect your email address by only sharing it as needed.
- Continual Employee Training – Remind employees on a regular basis about the dangers of opening suspicious emails and especially clicking on attached links.
- Watch Out For Strange Email Addresses – Phishing emails are often generated from irregular addresses. Be on the lookout for those with repeated words, long sets of numbers or odd domain extensions.
- Use a secure email system - Implement a system like Gold Comet. Learn how it works and benefits to adding this as a layer of protection
What To Do If You Have Been Attacked
Should you find that you or someone in your company has been a victim of a phishing attack, it is critical to take these important steps immediately.
- Change Password – This is the most important thing that you can do, as access to your email system must be halted immediately. Make sure that your email password is strong, with as many character variations as possible.
- Change Security Questions – Even if you change your password, an attacker might be able to alter it again themselves by knowing your security questions. Be sure to change your back up questions at the same time that your password is modified.
- Alert Your Contacts – Sending out a simple, but immediate notice that you have been attacked to your email contact address book can greatly minimize the problem from spreading to other users.
Contact Us Today
The team at Gold Comet have many years of industry knowledge and hands on experience in the email security sector. We can help you guard against not only the phishing threats that exist today, but also those in the future. Our patented encryption system is designed to protect your information 24/7/365, while dormant or when email servers are in use.
Gold Comet’s encrypted messaging system is browser based, which makes it extremely simple to be access from anywhere. The best thing about Gold Comet is that your valuable information never leaves our highly secure servers, even when communicating with outside parties.
Contact us today to learn more about how Gold Comet can protect your company’s most important information from those who wish to do you harm.
Interested in learning more? Check out our other blogs and learn more about 'Why Secure Messaging is so Important!"
Read More Blog Articles